Townsville Grammar School is the oldest secondary school in North Queensland, having commenced operations on 16 April, 1888. The School's graduates include Rhodes Scholars and many prominent persons in government, law, medicine, education, the arts and industry.
The Senior and Middle Schools still remain on its original site of 6.53 hectares in the seaside suburb of North Ward, sitting in the shadow of Castle Hill and enjoying cooling breezes off Cleveland Bay.
The original school building, 'School House' still stands proudly in the school grounds. In 1903 Cyclone Leonta severely damaged the building, causing much of the building to be rebuilt in 1903-1904 to a design by Townsville architects Tunbridge and Tunbridge. The building is now heritage listed and exciting plans for its restoration are planned.
In recent years, Townsville Grammar School has experienced significant growth with the acquisition of a second campus for the Junior School, the construction of a new boarding house for the comfort of our boarders, and the implementation of the TGS Middle School. In 2008, Townsville Grammar School opened the doors of the Pre-Prep Centre, catering to the youngest Grammarians.
Timeline of recent events at Townsville Grammar School:
In 1997, Townsville Grammar opened the Junior School campus at Annandale, at that time catering for all students from Preschool to Year 7.
In 2006, Year 7 students returned to the North Ward Campus to become part of our inaugural Middle School intake. A $6.5 million Middle School Precinct, comprising fourteen new classrooms was constructed to facilitate this exciting initiative.
In 2008, the new state of the art Pre-Prep Centre was officially opened. Catering for children aged four years old, the Centre is designed to provide the first step in the Townsville Grammar School journey of education.
In 2010, Townsville Grammar School students returned to the Annandale Campus to a new building - the Upper Primary Building.
In 2011, a new Library was opened at the Junior School offering a multimedia room and state-of-the-art facilities.
In 2012, the Performing Arts Centre was opened at North Ward boasting a large performance space, costuming department and dance studio.