Music at Townsville Grammar School is a vital part of the life of the School. The Townsville Grammar Music Centre opened in 2001. The spacious main teaching and rehearsal space has a grand piano, electronic keyboards and computers with up-to-date composition software. The teaching studios are all air-conditioned, with mirrors and keyboards or pianos. The Junior School has a dedicated Music Space with the Arts Cottage.
Music and Pastoral Care
Students involved in Music at Townsville Grammar School have a very strong sense of identity and belonging to the Music Centre. The shared ownership of the resources, classes and music activities, together with leadership opportunities in a range of ensembles, mean that all students gain exceptional pastoral care and growth through their involvement in Music at the School.
The School arranges regular performance opportunities for students involved in the Music Programme. These include:
- Soirées and recitals for individual student performances each term
- Annual Grammar Sings Choirs Concert at the St James Cathedral
- Annual Instrumental Ensembles Showcase Concert at the Perry Performance Space
- Eisteddfod participation
- Participation in School Productions
- Performances for community events
- Performances associated with the Australian Festival of Chamber Music
- Participation in the Australian Concerto and Vocal Competition
- Performances at important School events such as Anzac Day, Award Ceremonies and Speech Night
- Overseas and Interstate Tours
- Participation in Queensland Conservatorium State Honours Ensemble Programme
The skills learned in classroom music are applied in the sphere of Ensemble participation. In the Choral and Instrumental Ensembles offered in our Junior, Middle and Senior Schools, students learn the skills of performing with others, the discipline of punctual, habitual rehearsal attendance and exposure to a wide range of opportunities.
- Grammar Singers (Years 10-12 Senior School Choir)
- Grammar Mezzo (Years 7-9 Middle School Choir)
- Girls’ Vocal Ensemble
- Middle School Boys Vocal Ensemble
- Grammar Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra (Strings)
- Celtic Strings
- Grammar Big Band
- Concert Band
- Clarinet Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
- Classical Guitar Ensemble
- Recorder Ensembles
- Junior School Year Level Choirs
- Junior Schools Boys Choir
- Junior School String Ensembles
- Junior School Instrumental Ensembles
- Minors Choir Years 1 – 3
- Majors Choir Years 4 – 6
- Junior School Band
Ensemble participation is enhanced when supported by the sphere of Instrumental and Vocal tuition. At Grammar, the School encourages students to learn instruments by integrating instrumental lessons into the school timetable. Our experienced and qualified music tutors rotate the lessons so that students do not miss too much of any other subject.
Individual specialist lessons are available as follows:
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Classical Guitar
- Piano: Classical, Modern
- Voice: Classical, Modern
- Woodwind: Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Bassoon, Saxophone, Recorder
- Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Euphonium, Tuba
- Percussion: Drums, Orchestral Percussion
For details on our curricular music programme please visit the page listed under Academic Programme.
For further information, please contact Director of Music, Mr Samuel Blanch on (07) 4722 4938 or at email@example.com.