Fri 8th November
Townsville Grammar School is the oldest secondary school in North Queensland, opening its doors on 16 April 1888. The School's graduates include Rhodes Scholars and many prominent persons in government, law, medicine, education, the arts and industry.
The Senior and Middle School still remain on its original site of 6.53 hectares in the seaside suburb of North Ward, sitting in the shadow of Castle Hill and enjoying cooling breezes off Cleveland Bay.
The original school building, 'School House' still stands proudly in the school grounds. In 1903, Cyclone Leonta severely damaged School House, causing much of the building to be rebuilt in 1903-1904 to a design by Townsville architects Tunbridge and Tunbridge. The building is now heritage listed and is currently being restored.
In recent years, Townsville Grammar School has experienced significant growth with the acquisition of a second campus for the Junior School and the implementation of the Middle School.
In 2008, Townsville Grammar School opened the doors of the Pre-Prep Centre at the Annandale Campus.
In 2015 a third Townsville Grammar School Campus opened in the new residential estate of North Shore, offering Early Education (Pre-Kindy and Pre-Prep) through to Year 4 (2019), growing to Year 5 in 2020 and Year 6 in 2021.