Thu 26th October
Problem solving is an integral part of all topics covered in Mathematics at Townsville Grammar School. This key learning area allows the students many opportunities to read, write and speak mathematically, thereby developing an enjoyment of Mathematics and the ability to explore and use mathematics in a variety of contexts and applications.
Years 7, 8 and 9
Middle School Mathematics will focus the students on acquiring mathematical knowledge through an active engagement with mathematical tasks.
A positive attitude towards Mathematics learning and many opportunities to think, reason and work mathematically are the essential elements of the Middle School Mathematics course at Townsville Grammar School.
Three Mathematics courses will be offered to Year 10 students, they closely follow the Senior Mathematics curriculum.
Mathematics A covers arithmetic, trigonometry, statistics, co-ordinate geometry and some basic algebra; it concentrates on mathematics in real life situations, practical problem solving and communicating mathematically. Students completing this course will be go on to study Mathematics A or Prevocational Mathematics (if offered) in QSA.
Mathematics B is designed to prepare students for the study of Mathematics B in Years 11 and 12. Mathematics B covers topics such as advanced algebra, trigonometry and co-ordinate geometry with an emphasis on mathematical applications.
Mathematics C is designed to extend the top Mathematics students. The course covers advanced algebra, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry and the study of functions as well as extension topics such as surds and inequalitie. The emphasis will also be on mathematical applications. Students in this course will go on to study Mathematics B (and Mathematics C) for QCAA in senior years or Mathematics (Standard Level) in the IB Diploma.
Years 11 and 12
Students in Years 11 & 12 can choose from the following Mathematics subjects:
- Mathematics A
- Mathematics B
- Mathematics C
- Prevocational Mathematics (if offered)
- IB Mathematical SL (For students studying the International Baccalaureate)
- For Year 7–12 students the Australian Mathematics Competition is held in July
- Year 7–10 students can enter the Mathematics Challenge in Term 2
- Some students are involved in the Enrichment Stage of the Mathematics Challenge
- Townsville Grammar School enters a team in the Pacific Coal QAMT Year 8 Quiz
- Year 10 students have the opportunity to attend the QAMT Mathematics Camp in August