Mon 21st May
Music at Townsville Grammar School is a vital part of the life of the School.
The Townsville Grammar Music Centre opened in 2001. The rehearsal space has a grand piano, electronic keyboards and computers with up-to-date composition software. The teaching studios are all air-conditioned, with mirrors and keyboards or pianos. The Junior School has a dedicated Music Space within the Arts Cottage.
Music and Pastoral Care
Students involved in Music at Townsville Grammar School have a very strong sense of identity. The shared ownership of the resources, classes and music activities, together with leadership opportunities in a range of ensembles, mean that all
students gain exceptional pastoral care and growth through their involvement in Music at the School.
The School arranges regular performance opportunities for students involved in the Music Programme. These include:
- Soirées and recitals for individual student performances each term
- Annual Grammar Sings Choirs Concert
- Annual Instrumental Ensembles Showcase
Concert at the Perry Performance Space
- Eisteddfod participation
- Participation in School Productions
- Performances for community events
- Performances associated with the Australian
Festival of Chamber Music
- Participation in the Australian Concerto and Vocal Competition
- Performances at important School events such as Anzac Day, Award Ceremonies and Speech Night
- Overseas and Interstate Tours
- Participation in Queensland Conservatorium State Honours Ensemble Programme
The skills learned in classroom music are applied
in the sphere of Ensemble participation. In the Choral and Instrumental Ensembles offered in our Junior, Middle and Senior Schools, students learn the skills of performing with others, the discipline of punctual, habitual rehearsal attendance and exposure to a wide range of opportunities.