Thu 23rd May
About the Competition
The Townsville Grammar School Writing Competition is an annual event aimed at developing written communication skills. Usually held in Term 1, the Competition provides an opportunity to practise writing under strict test conditions and time limits in response to print and visual stimulus. It is also an opportunity to practise skills such as planning, self-editing, proofreading and examination techniques such as reading and following instructions, and effective use of time. The competition is also an occasion where students with particular talent may showcase their ability and be recognised by the School community. Most of all, as this is an annual event, there will be repeated opportunities to practise, learn and improve.
Who is involved?
All students from Years 6 to 12 participate in the Competition. The Competition provides a link between the two campuses of the School and an opportunity for shared experience and celebration of achievement. Classroom and English teachers mark the entries. The teachers also meet to deliberate and select prizewinners. The criteria used for marking are derived from those used to mark the NAPLAN Writing Paper and the Queensland Core Skills Writing Task. The QCS Writing Task is completed by all OP eligible Year 12 students in Queensland each year.
Why is it a good idea?
- Improved preparedness for written tests and examinations,
- Improved writing skills in general,
- Improved examination techniques,
- Enhanced preparation for the Writing Task,
- An outlet for creative writing abilities,
- An opportunity to win certificates and win medals: High Distinction, Distinction and Credit Certificates, and a prize medal for the boy and girl winner in each year level.