Pre-Prep at Townsville Grammar: Designed for Four-Year-Olds
18th October 2023
As the educational leaders in northern Queensland, Townsville Grammar School has two Early Education Centres located at their primary schools in Townsville offering a Pre-Prep program designed especially for four-year olds. The program at our Annandale and North Shore campuses ensures that children build confidence and skills that will allow them to transition into Prep smoothly.
A Big Transition
The transition from home or childcare into a more structured learning environment can create challenges and excitement for children and their parents and carers.
Here are some tips and strategies to prepare your child for Pre-Prep and then for Prep.
- Talk confidently about the changes ahead and build a sense of security through your own confidence.
- Create a sense of excitement in your conversation about the change, focusing on the things that will appeal to your child.
- Explain what will happen well ahead of time, and remind your child on a regular basis, so that they know what to expect.
- Visit the primary school ahead of time, and if possible, spend some time there together. Building familiarity of faces and places will reduce first day stress.
- Remind your child about what to expect – who will take them, who will pick them up, what will happen during the day.
- Develop a morning, night and bedtime routine.
- Be excited when you deliver your child to Prep – save any tears for the walk to the car!
- Greet your child with excitement at the end of each day and encourage them to share their stories.
- Get to know your child’s teacher and develop respectful relationships.
It is important to talk to your child’s teachers and carers if you are having any concerns or challenges, and they will work with you to support your child to transition to their new environment. There are also many fantastic websites and online resources for helping children transition through the various stages of childhood and education.
The Grammar Difference
The Grammar approach to teaching and learning begins in Pre-Prep and Prep. Children in Pre-Prep are part of the overall school - they wear the Grammar uniform and engage in some of the activities and events of the wider school campus and community. The Pre-Prep program is structured so as to slowly introduce the children to the ‘big school’ which gives them a sense of aspiration and excitement.
Widely known as the highest performing primary school in Townsville and northern Queensland, Townsville Grammar School’s Pre-Prep program is the perfect entry point for early education. Contact our Annandale campus on 07 4412 4800, or our North Shore campus on 07 4412 6600, or to discuss enrolment at our primary schools in Townsville.