More pages in this section
Townsville Grammar School delivers a traditional, broad and liberal education in a school environment that has a strong learning culture, lived values and high behaviour standards.
With a long-standing reputation for delivering leading academic outcomes in northern Queensland, Townsville Grammar School has a proven record of success. In 2023, the School was listed in the top 20 schools in Queensland based on average NAPLAN scores for the previous five years, and again produced leading Year 12 outcomes for both the ATAR/QCAA and the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) programs.
Year 12 ATAR & IB Outcomes 2023
Highest score possible is 99.95
TOP ATAR: 99.95 (one of 34 in Queensland)
MEDIAN ATAR: 90.6
99+ 5.2% of students
95+ 26.8% of students
90+ 50.5% of students
ACADEMIC COMMENDATIONS: 11
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE 2023
Highest score possible is 45
TOP IB: 43
40+ 16.7% of students
AVERAGE IB SUBJECT SCORE: 5 (out of 7)
98% of students who applied to study at university in Queensland have received offers, with 71% receiving an offer for their first preference.
Academic Profile of the School
- An accredited IB World School, one of only 18 in Queensland and the only IB School in North Queensland
- Consistently leading Year 12 outcomes in North Queensland for ATAR & IB
- Consistently leading school in North Queensland for NAPLAN results - Primary and Secondary
- Ranked in top 20 schools in Queensland for NAPLAN outcomes, averaged five years
Why is TGS the leading academic school in North Qld?
- The Grammar approach to teaching and learning begins in Prep and carries throughout the Junior and Senior Schools in an integrated and co-ordinated pedagogical program.
- The School has developed a bespoke Teaching & Learning Framework that is implemented throughout both the Junior and Senior School.
- Teachers are passionate, professional and experts in their fields.
- Teachers are available to students during breaks and through the tutorial program.
- Student behaviour in the classroom is paramount, meaning students receive maximised teaching and learning time in the classroom.
- The School has a well-developed culture of manners and respect - the campus environment is calm, orderly and respectful – and this also translates into behaviour in the classroom.
- The School has cultivated a strong culture of learning and feedback, where students feel at ease to learn and develop in a safe and respectful environment.
IB World School
Townsville Grammar School is an accredited IB World School (2011) and offers students in Years 11 and 12 an alternative academic pathway.
Townsville Grammar School is one of only 18 schools in Queensland to offer the IB.
Students can elect to study the QCAA/ATAR course, or the International Baccalaureate Diploma program, which is a two year course of study.
Find out more about the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program here.